March 26, 2007

My American Life

It's exactly 18 days until the birth of my child. No, I'm not pregnant. My child's name is Quest.

For those of you who either a) only know me through this blog, b) have only known me for a short time, or c) know me but have no clue as to what I am talking about, can check out all the details about what Quest is here.

With 18 days left, these are the thoughts that tend to go through my head on a daily basis, and have for the past 5 years at this time:
1) What is left to do?
*I really need to make better lists.
2) What if no one comes this year?
*I really need to pray more.
3) What if the unthinkable happens and my band cancels at the last minute?
*I really need a back up plan.
4) What if it rains?
*I need to make more indoor options.
5) What if Quest rocks this year?
*That would be an answer to prayers.
5) What if Quest bombs this year?
*I don't even want to think about that.

There are many more that I could list here, but more than likely adding them would make everyone think that I am crazier than they thought before, and I can't afford to get committed with only 18 days left! Most of these things I have absolutely no control over the outcome, so I basically let go and let God. The other things I have been thinking for the past 5 years, which makes me wonder if I learn anything at all from previous Quests, or if I am stuck in some weird cycle.

I feel so much better now that I have this written out. So, on to a completely unrelated topic.

My title is a reference to a TV show that I happened upon one Saturday afternoon and decided to watch after having read the blog of an aqcuaintance of mine the day before (he's the older brother of some friends of mine, and being that I've only actually met him once, using the title "friend" would be stretching things quite a bit). Supposedly it was a radio show before being turned into a TV show; though I have never heard the radio program, after seeing the show, I think I'd rather listen to it on the radio. Then again, I'd rather listen to David Sedaris that read him. Anyway, the show is on Showtime and is called This American Life if you want to watch and form your own opinion.

Final thoughts: This week I start training at Huntington Learning Center. A lesson I've already learned: always hang on to a copy of your ACT scores--you never know when you might need them and not have them.

1 comment:

Kim said...

I am sure it will go just as good if not better than the previous years...of course I have never been back since I left. But I know that things will work out. I will be praying for ya and well your sanity :) I totaly understand. Take care.