September 25, 2008

Yelping

Have you heard of yelp.com? I hadn't until I moved to San Diego. Basically, it's a review site that allows "average joes/janes" to review all sorts of establishments in the city that they live. It's a great place to go to find certain places to eat. Just type in the food you want, the neighborhood, and, viola, it will list restuarants. You just need to read the reviews and decide.

I joined Yelp recently and started writing my own reviews. It has turned into a really great way to keep writing, much like blogging. However, Yelp is also it's own little community, kind of like facebook, but much more involved. There are chat boards, "yelper" events, parties invented for yelpers by yelpers...seriously, is it's own little neighborhood in San Diego. It's just one more way the internet is bringing people together. I will say, it is very cool how the yelpers get together outside of the website, unlike some other online communities.

Me, I just like to write. And though I am flattered by the compliments on my reviews and people "friending" me because of my reviews, that will be the extent that I get involved with the Yelp Community.

I do encourage you to check it out where you live. As stated, it's a great way to find out what real people think about places you frequent, and discover places you never knew existed.

No comments: